Have you ever wondered how much you know about dental hygiene? Find out now!
1. True or False? Wine can prevent bacteria from sticking to teeth.
True! But be careful. In a recent study published in the journal Food Chemistry, scientists have found that one glass of red wine a day can help keep teeth healthy. But many wines still contain high levels of sugar and acid that can speed the process of tooth decay.
2. How much bacteria can be found in just one drop of saliva?
We have over 100,000,000 bacteria in each drop of saliva. Although most of the 100,000,000 bacteria will not cause you harm, mouth bacteria is responsible for many common diseases including tooth decay and gum disease.
3. What is the average amount of money spent on tooth paste each year?
Americans spend an average of $2 billion on tooth paste each year! On top of the $2 billion, an additional $1.25 billion is spent on toothbrushes.
4. True or False? The weakest part of the human body is tooth enamel.
False. Tooth enamel is actually the strongest part of the human body!
5. How many teeth does the average adult have?
The average adult has 32 teeth. They are made up of 8 incisors, 4 canines, 8 premolars and 12 molars (including 4 wisdom teeth).
6. True or False? Making regular visits to the dentist can help prevent many systemic diseases.
True. Regular trips to the dentist are proven to help curb systemic diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, respiratory infections, sinus diseases and Alzheimer disease.
7. Which animal has the same amount of teeth as humans?
Believe it or not, Giraffes also have 32 teeth – the same amount as humans!
8. True or False? The only way you can get cavities is by eating sugary foods.
False. Although eating sugary foods can increase your risk of a cavity, cavities are formed from bacteria that builds up over time due to poor hygiene and tooth decay.
9. When was the first commercial dental floss made?
The first modern dental floss was commercially produced in 1882 and was invented by dentist Levi Spear Parmly nearly 60 years after her wrote the 1819 book “A Practical Guide to the Management of the Teeth.”
10. How many gallons of toothpaste are bought each year?
14 million gallons of toothpaste are bought each year. That’s equivalent to 21 Olympic-sized swimming pools!